Tipperary County Council, Housing Department

Tipperary County Council has responsibility for planning and provision of a range of social housing options with the objective of ‘ensur(ing) that all persons in the county have affordable accommodation suitable to their social and personal needs.’

Social Housing provision is delivered as:

  • Tenant accommodation directly provided by the Local Authority, usually in a residential social housing estate.
  • Housing under the Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS), where a family in need of long-term housing is given tenancy in accommodation where Local Authority has contracted with landlord to provide housing for an agreed period.
  • The Housing Assistance Payment (HAP), which is envisaged as a social housing support for people who have a long-term housing need. Under the scheme, the Local Authority pays the rent to the landlords directly, while the tenants pay a weekly HAP rent contribution to the local authority, based on their income and ability to pay.
  • Tenant accommodation provided by Approved Housing Bodies (AHBs) (also called voluntary housing associations), e.g. Respond, Clúid Housing. These are independent, not-for-profit organisations. They provide affordable rented housing for people who cannot afford to pay private sector rents or buy their own homes; or for particular groups, such as older people or homeless people. The application process is regulated by the Local Authority and eligibility is determined by same.

The County Council also has responsibility for accommodation for the Traveller population.

The Homeless Unit, covering the North of the county only, is tasked to provide assistance to persons who present as homeless.

Eligibility: i).Having no suitable alternative accommodation, and ii). Meeting income criteria which demonstrate lack of means to provide accommodation from one’s own resources.

Referral: By downloading application form from County Council web-site