The Order of Malta Ireland Ambulance Corps is one of the largest providers of First Aid and voluntary medical services in Ireland. From small beginnings in Galway in 1938, it has developed into an organisation of over 3,000 members in more than 80 Units spread throughout communities all over Ireland and Northern Ireland.
There are four core services that the Order of Malta participates in:
- First Aid and Event Medical Services
- Community Care Activities
- Youth Work
- Training & Education
Order of Malta members volunteer their time on a weekly basis to provide the highest standard of first-aid medical services at national and local events, training in life-saving skills and delivering community care initiatives. There are five Order of Malta units in the county, as follows: in Thurles, Cashel, Clonmel, Birr/Roscrea, and Nenagh.
In some cases, Order of Malta units have a Youth Programme which caters for young people, aged 10 – 16 years, who can join as Cadets. Cadets are trained in First Aid, CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation), as well as ambulance equipment awareness. Cadets have opportunities to be involved in the community, helping older people and people with disabilities both locally and internationally. They also attend for First Aid duties with members of the senior units at events such as GAA matches, fun days, athletics and other sporting activities. There are Youth Programmes in Cashel and in Thurles.
The Cadet Achievement Programme, in which cadets undertake a number of challenges under various headings such as life skills, community, safety and communications, ensures that they focus on a wide range of activities. When cadets have completed tasks from ten of the categories, they are eligible for a Director’s Award, which is the highest award a cadet can receive.
The Order of Malta runs annual competitions at both regional and national levels which run in conjunction with its National Cadet Weekend. This brings cadets from all around the country together for a weekend of fun.
Age Group: All are welcome to join the Order of Malta from the age of 10 years upwards.
Contact details: Unit Officers in Charge (Adult units)
- Thurles: Tel. 087 2390 111, Email: email@example.com
- Cashel: Tel. 086 601 7832, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clonmel: Tel. 087 752 0322, Email: email@example.com
- Nenagh: Tel. 086 405 4301, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Birr/Roscrea: Tel. 087 995 7394, Email: email@example.com
For Youth Programmes:
- Thurles: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cashel: Email: email@example.com
- National Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web-site: www.orderofmaltaireland.org/ambulance-corps
- For adult units - Thurles, Cashel, Clonmel, Nenagh, Roscrea, and their respective environs.
- For Cadets – Thurles and Cashel