North Tipperary Development Company
North Tipperary Development Company’s (NTDC) services focus on promoting local economic development and on addressing inequality and social exclusion in the area under its remit.
It delivers the following programmes and services:
Rural Development (or LEADER) Programme:
Under the current programme, 2014 – 2020, funding is available to support projects under the 3 themes of:
- Economic Development, Enterprise Development & Job Creation with a specific focus on Rural Tourism, Rural Towns and Rural Broadband
- Social Inclusion with a specific focus on Basic services for Hard to Reach communities and on Rural Youth
- The Rural Environment with a focus on Water Awareness, Biodiversity and Renewable Energy
Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme (SICAP 2018-2022):
The Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme provides funding to tackle poverty and social exclusion at a local level through the local engagement and partnerships between disadvantaged individuals, community organisations and public sector agencies. This programme offers support to both individuals and communities. North Tipperary Development Company is responsible for the delivery of this programme across the North Tipperary area with a focus on strengthening communities and improving people’s lives using the community development approach. The aim of the SICAP programme is to reduce poverty and promote social inclusion and equality in Ireland through two main goals:
- Goal 1: Supporting communities
- Goal 2: Supporting Individuals
Specific target groups have been identified by the national programme for support under SICAP 2018-2022. These are:
- Disadvantaged Children and Families
- Disadvantaged Young People (aged 15-24)
- Disadvantaged Women
- Emerging Needs Group (this is agreed annually with the Local Community Development Committee in Tipperary County Council – currently for 2021 the focus is on LGBTI+ adult supports)
- Lone Parents
- Low Income Workers/Households
- New Communities
- People Living in Disadvantaged Communities
- People with Disabilities
- The Disengaged from the Labour Market (Economically Inactive)
- The Unemployed
Under SICAP, NTDC runs such services and projects as:
- Learning for Life courses
- ‘Fáilte Isteach’ Third Age programme available online, teaching Conversational English -levels include elementary, beginner, intermediate and advanced in everyday conversation.
- Car Maintenance programme.
- Advocacy and support services.
- Business mentoring and support for self-employment startups.
- Work readiness and career supports for unemployed and those in low-paid/insecure jobs.
- Online wellness programmes to support personal development.
- Community development supports offered to Local Community Groups, organisations.
- Collaborative projects with other agencies and organisations supporting the communities in North Tipperary.
- Social Enterprises supports.
- Child & youth targeted projects in collaboration with community-based projects, supports and services.
- Targets Grant funding to community groups and individuals.
The Tús programme
The Tús programme is delivered by NTDC on behalf of the Department of Social Protection (DSP). It is a national activation initiative for people who are unemployed and on the Live Register. It is designed to provide short term working opportunities for unemployed people while at the same time supporting and adding value to the broad range of services delivered by community and voluntary bodies. 160 Tús placements are allocated to the North of the county.
Rural Social Scheme
Rural Social Scheme provides income support to low income farm families who are in receipt of long term social welfare payments, and they in return undertake work of benefit to their local community for a scheduled number of hours per week. NTDC administers and runs this scheme on behalf of the DSP.
Other services the NTDC provides include:
- Ascend Domestic Abuse service
- Roscrea Family Support Service
- Traveller project, based in Roscrea, including a Primary Health Care Project
- Roscrea Youth Service
Target Groups: For SICAP, see list of eligible groups above. For Tús, the criteria is at least 12 months unemployed and receipt of Jobseekers Allowance For Rural Social Scheme, qualifications are to be a low-income farmer and to be in receipt of a Social Welfare payment
How to access: For Tús, self-referral to local Intreo or Social Welfare branch office. For all other services, contact NTDC office.
Monday – Friday, 9.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m.